Research on the Effects of Body Misinformation in Ads
- Three of the most common mental-health problems among girls (eating disorders, depression or depressed mood/self-esteem) are linked to the presentation of women in the media.
- Report of the APA Task Force on the Sexualization of Girls. American Psychological Association.
- Forty two percent of girls in grades 1-3 want to be thinner.
- Fifty three percent of 13-year-old girls are unhappy with their bodies.
- By the time they're 17, girls have seen 250,000 TV commercials telling them they should be aspire to be a sex object or have a body size they can never achieve.
- Seventy eight percent of 17-year-old girls are unhappy with their bodies.
- Thirty percent of high school girls and 16 percent of high school boys suffer from disordered eating.
- Adolescent girls are more afraid of gaining weight than getting cancer, losing their parents or nuclear war.
- Eating disorders have the highest mortality rate of all mental illnesses.